It is crunch time for teachers at my school as we are still taking state tests (May 31st is our last one)! Like many teachers I try to make test prep more meaningful to students by having stations, partner games, and interactive white board review games like jeopardy...but sometimes practice questions in standard form must be covered too!
|This is exactly how I feel right now!|
When test question strategy sessions must happen, the only thing that gets the kids through it are Brain Breaks! Below are my classes Top 5 Brain Breaks this testing season!
1. Keep It Up: I have a reading comprehension beach ball in my room. Students try to keep the ball from touching the ground.
2. Elbow Knee Taps: With hands behind their ears. Students tap their elbow to their opposite knee. I usually draw a name for a student leader. The leader will come up with a pattern, like right, left, right, right. Once the class has practiced the pattern the game begins! As a class we are trying to beat our own time!
3. My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean: As I sing the song students must change their direction whenever a "B" word is said. They either turn left, right, front, or back. It is quite funny when you get to "bring back, bring back, oh bring back my Bonny to me!" They look like spinning tops!!!
4. Random Dancing: So easy but quite fun! I just turn on music and they get to "boogie" (appropriately) while it is on.
5. The Cha-Cha Slide: I use the youtube clip below by Flametictac. It took my class several times before they had it down. I usually join in too for "exercise" reasons only! It has great easy to follow directions!!!
|Click to view|
The Cha Cha Slide has definitely been my classes favorite this year!
If you have a fun quick Brain Break, please share below! I can never have enough!!!